My friend Dawn, who writes the blog Tales from the Motherland, invited me to a big blog party where we all flood the Interwebs with happiness and gratitude.
I met Dawn when I went to BlogHer. It was a magical meeting – we recognized one another in the lobby of the Hilton and screamed like hyenas. So, in honor of that cacaphonous connection, I’m writing this post.
The catch: We are supposed to come up with 50 things in 10 minutes.
People who read my blog know that even writing a post in one hour was hugely challenging. But I got amped up on caffeine and decided to Just Do It.
Here are 50 things that made me happy in 2015:
1. My kid, Little Dude. He’s a great big funny soul with a lion heart.
2. Music. I’m married to writing but I cheat with music.
3. My Brooklyn baseball hat.
4. A great shade of red lipstick that doesn’t make me look like a deranged old lady.
5. This laptop. My partner in crime.
6. Writing. If I didn’t write my soul would implode.
9. Did I say books?
10. Colors. Especially purple, but all of them. They make life interesting.
11. Patti Smith. She was a skinny, picked-on outcast who reinvented herself as something else. That sounds familiar…
12. My Guardian Angel. Bless.
16. Good hair days.
18. The fact that I can be rebellious and defiant and skip a number if I want to. Freedom. Fuck you, #17.
19. Laughing. I do it frequently. It fights aging.
20. Orgasms. Ditto.
21. Flirting. Especially at a red light. Long enough to be fun, short enough to make a clean getaway with no complications.
22. Math. This year and every year. Give me a complex math problem and my brain lights up like a pinball machine.
23. My rock tee collection.
24. Weight gain. Which is also something I loathe, but with it came breasts. I’m a REALLY late bloomer.
25. Blanket forts. My kid is King of the Blanket Forts.
26. Lenny Kravitz. Still. Always
27. New York City. I had way too much fun there this year.
28. That my kid fell in love with art this year. A pivotal experience.
29. Libraries. Nerd Central. Liking Star Wars doesn’t make you a nerd. Hanging out at the library does.
30. WordPress. They make me feel like a rock star. They recently included me in a New Year’s Blog resolution round up.
31. Spotify. Whatever music I want, where I want it.
32. My new car – a Nissan Rogue. I know nothing about cars, and I totally I bought it because I like the name “Rogue.”
33. My guitar.
34. The high school kids who recently let me join their band.
35. Roku. I may never leave the house again.
36. The fact that nerd culture is now cool. It wasn’t always.
37. Superhero pajamas.
38. A black slouchy beanie that my kid says makes me look like one of the Seven Dwarves but is incredibly warm.
39. Kurt Cobain. Specifically, a documentary about him called “Montage of Heck.“
40. The kind of movie that you get a movie hangover from. See number 39.
41. I’m grateful for teenagers, and for being emotionally stunted enough to still feel like one.
42. The fact that my kid has not found me on the Internet. When he does, I’m fucked. For now, I can say whatever the hell I want on my blog and Facebook page, and I do.
43. French fries. One of the true great vehicles for ketchup.
44. Green drinks. They taste like swamp in a cup but I feel pretty great after I drink them.
45. Jason Bateman. He’s handsome, hilarious, and twisted.
46. The Sisterwives meetup in Dallas.
47. The fact that people READ WHAT I WRITE. And comment. Thank you.
48. Travel. That I live in a world where I can do it freely. This year I went to Nashville, Dallas, and am about to leave for Portland, Oregon for the holidays.
49. My mistakes. Holy shit, I made some HUGE ones this year. But the upside is, I won’t be making those again. And they give me something to write about. People love a good debacle not of their own making.
50. This song. Chills.
What things were you happy about in 2015?
Talk to me. I’m listening.
If you’d like to join in, here’s how it works: set a timer for 10 minutes; timing this is critical. Once you start the timer, start your list (the timer doesn’t matter for filling in the instructions, intro, etc). The goal is to write 50 things that made you happy in 2015, or 50 thing that you feel grateful for. The idea is to not think too hard; write what comes to mind in the time allotted. When the timer’s done, stop writing. If you haven’t written 50 things, that’s ok. If you have more than 50 things and still have time, keep writing; you can’t feel too happy or too grateful!
When I finished my list, I took a few extra minutes to add links and photos.
To join us for this project: 1) Write your post and publish it (please copy and paste the instructions from this post, into yours). Click on the link below to join the party.
Share your happy thoughts, your gratitude; help us flood the blogosphere with both!
Linkey thing here: http://www.inlinkz.com/new/view.php?id=592585